The Parker Society was the London-based Anglican society that printed in fifty-four volumes the works of the leading English Reformers of the sixteenth century. It was formed in 1840 and disbanded in 1855 when its work was completed. Named after Matthew Parker -- the first Elizabethan Archbishop of Canterbury, who was known as a great collector of books -- the stimulus for the foundation of the society was provided by the Tractarian movement, led by John Henry Newman and Edward B. Pusey. Some members of this movement spoke disparagingly of the English Reformation, and so some members of the Church of England felt the need to make available in an attractive form the works of the leaders of that Reformation.
John Philpot Robert Eden
John Philpot, served as Archdeacon of Winchester. Philpot was a man of great learning, with knowledge not only of the Bible but of its languages, especially Hebrew. He was arrested and tried as a heretic, for refusing to recant his protestant beliefs. He was able to preserve secret notes about his hearings. Much of this material was later printed by John Foxe in his Actes and Monuments (better known as Foxe's Book of Martyrs). He was martyred in 1555.